Program & Financial Benefits
The Texas Leadership Scholars (TLS) program will prepare students for life after graduation, whether their next step is a professional career or graduate school. Because only 250 students are selected to become Texas Leadership Scholars each year, encourage your TEXAS Grant-eligible, high achieving students to apply for the Texas Leadership Scholars program.
Scholars are eligible to receive funding through this renewable scholarship for up to 4 years/8 long semesters, if they continue to meet program criteria and requirements.
- The institution will ensure 100% of board-designated tuition and fees are covered through a combination of federal, state, and institutional aid.
- The Coordinating Board will provide a Housing & Food stipend equal to the average cost at the participating institution.
- The Coordinating Board will fund summer programming opportunities.
- Only undergraduate courses are covered, and they must be taken in the fall or spring.
- Housing & Food stipend is provided regardless if living on or off campus, this amount is capped at cost of attendance.
- For tuition and fees, total aid amount is capped by need as determined in the FAFSA or TASFA.
Scholars will participate in progressive mentoring throughout their experience. These opportunities may include:
Scholars receive access to on-campus research opportunities. The TLSP Campus Coordinator will help students find opportunities and provide workshops on securing research positions.
Opportunities for individual and professional growth will take place each year. These opportunities may include:
- Strengths or Leadership Assessment
- Group Service Projects
- Networking events to practice communication and relationship-building skills
- Workshops and earning opportunities to:
- Resume writing
- Developing an elevator speech
- LinkedIn and other social media branding
- Value of diversity in teams and businesses
- Pursuing graduate school
Living Learning Community*
Scholars will participate in a TLS-specific Living Learning Community (LLC) for the first two years of the program. *This set-up may vary by campus. If a particular campus does not provide an LLC for their scholars, supplemental programming will be offered regularly to connect the group.
Scholars can apply to participate in a Scholars-specific paid study abroad experience.
For Summer 2023:
- 10 Students, from 9 Texas Institutions, enjoyed a 15-day trip to San Juan, Costa Rica.
- TLS partnered with Academic Programs International to custom build this program specifically for Texas Leadership Scholars.
- The study abroad program included a 3-credit "Women, Entrepreneurship, & Sustainability" course taught by local instructors at Universidad Veritas.
Annual Leadership Conference
- Each summer a member institution will hold an annual leadership conference.
- Scholars can apply to participate in the conference.